Subject: Troubles booting 1.5.2 on a PowerBook 165
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: K Mart <k_m34@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/2002 07:45:56
Here are the machine stats to start:
8MB RAM
160MB SCSI disk
System 7.1 boot partition
Booter 1.11.4a3
Sysinst based 1.5.2 install from CD-ROM

I formatted and partitioned the disk with no trouble.  After installing
SS7.1, I copied the booter and the INSTALL kernel via AppleTalk from my
LC 580.  I then attached an external SCSI CD-ROM to the PB165, put in
a NetBSD 1.5.2 CD a friend made for me, and booted the INSTALL kernel.
Sysinst booted and ran just fine, and after a bit of a wait for the
install I rebooted.  I ran the booter, pointed it at the netbsd kernel
that was freshly installed on the FFS partition, hit "Boot now" and was
told that "The kernel option _boothowto is not set".  Strange.
I booted with the INSTALL kernel again, reinstalled kern.tgz, waited
while all the devices were rebuilt (do they really need to be rebuilt
after EVERY set install, without asking?)  I rebooted, ran the Booter,
and am now told:
MID_M68K executable: entry 0x2e00.
len = 56267491, 1806668 + 100204 + 208980 + 227448 + 53662047, avail
= 6584052
Boot error: Not enough free memory to load the kernel.
[etc ...]

This seems to show about 900K more than is needed.  So what gives?

Jon.