Subject: Re: value of Powerbook 520 and 540c?
To: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
From: Bruce Harada <bruce@ask.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/2002 23:21:49
On Thu, 2 May 2002 12:19:04 +0200 (MET DST)
Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de> wrote:

> > Soldered, but on a daughterboard. I'm guessing here, but if you could find
> > a junked 550 (yeah, right) you might be able to swap in its daughterboard
> > with the full 68040.
>
> That's right, but a 550 is VERY hard to get. I'm afraid that's true for
> damaged ones. I read they had been only sold in japan.

Yes, I believe that's correct (except for machines imported into the US by
individuals).
However, 550s do turn up for sale here in Japan quite regularly:

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/46023837
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c19172861
http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c18554830
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e5097839

Unfortunately, none of these people will ship overseas...

Bruce