Subject: value of Powerbook 520 and 540c?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/01/2002 10:58:45
The Ports/mac68k/ webpage doesn't list Powerbook 520 or 540c as supported
system models, but I have found postings about using them so I assume they
are supported.

I have found a cheap 520 and 540C (with MacOS 7.6 installed).

I read that the 520 is 50Mhz and the 540c is 66Mhz. But I don't have
experience with them, so I don't know much about their performance.

(My Intel 486-66 boxes not running X work just fine. My Intel Pentium 166
workstations running X work great, but my Intel Pentium 120 laptop is
very slow.)

What would something like a 520 or 540C compare with (performance) in the
Intel i386 world?

It would be nice if X can run okay for doing presentations (via LCD
projector plugged into external monitor port).

I am curious: for someone who has never installed NetBSD on a Macintosh,
but has installed it on i386 well over one hundred times, any ideas on how
long it will take to install (not counting download time)?

(Please CC me when responding.)

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/