Subject: Re: wsconsctl doesn't work for me
To: Alexander Klein <Alexander.Klein@math.uni-giessen.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/2002 13:51:02
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Alexander Klein wrote:

> At 18:15 Uhr +0200 29.04.2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >It's actually not completely undocumented -- "escapetime" is described
> >in "/usr/share/doc/usd/13.viref", and this same question is even in
> >the vi FAQ, which is however only in the sources, not installed.
>
> While we are at it:
>
> I once tried to put this thing on paper, and I think I managed to even set
> the paper format to ISO A4, however, when I finally managed to print the
> PS-file, a lot of text was clipped, so setting only the correct paper
> format was obviously not enough.

Huh. The default page size is A4. I get errors building in
"/usr/share/doc", though. If by "clipped" you mean vertically
clippped, try

	make paper.ps MACROS='-me -P-g'"

directly in the sources ("usr.bin/vi/docs/USD.doc/vi.ref"). I had to
run that *twice* to avoid the error concerning "index.so". The "-P-g"
means to adjust the page length dynamically. That may give you
something printable (called "vi.ref.ps").

The way I generally view the references, however, is to adjust the
output of "make -n paper.ps" in "/usr/share/doc/usd/13.viref", with
suitable arguments for viewing online, vis:

	soelim vi.ref | tbl | groff -Tascii -M/usr/share/tmac -me |less +Gp

> Also, quite a lot of the directories in /usr/share/doc/... are empty. Is
> this a bug or a feature?

I think it has something to do with AT&T's historic lawsuit. I seem to
remember that AT&T's gone ahead and released their doc's, and
everbody's for merging them back in and making them buildable, but no
one's gotten around to doing it.

Frederick