Subject: Re: wsconsctl doesn't work for me
To: Stefan Witzgall <stefan.witzgall@online.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/29/2002 07:35:21
At 20:02 Uhr +0200 28.4.2002, Stefan Witzgall wrote:
>>Because there is no support in NetBSD/mac68k for switching key maps, yet.
>>Those who bother lack the knowledge to change this, and those who know
>>don't bother and use dt or X11 instead. This is a volunteer effort, after
>>all, and people decide for themselves what to work on.
>
>Should I conclude, that I should use dt? Hmm, and if I want to have a
>"clean and standard" Unix systems, that runs with the the usual found
>environment for such systems?

Virtual consoles are very much system dependent. Your "clean and standard"
unix feeling shouldn't be too disturbed by dt.

>Could please any other particiapant of this list say a word or two if there
>is any possibility to use a German keyboard and where I should and could do
>some work to make a progress?

NetBSD has a machine-independent 'wscons' console that most ports use to
some degree. On i386, wscons includes loadable/switchable keymaps; somebody
has to get down someday and port this to mac68k. It's just work, not rocket
science; it might make for a nice beginner's project, too.  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety