Subject: exec /sbin/init: error 8 on an LC II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Witzgall <stefan.witzgall@online.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/2002 07:02:04
Hello dear reader,

I'm new to this list since some minutes, so please excuse dumb questions ...

Note 1:
I read the archives, but couldn't find a thread related to my problem
except older ones, 1998, 1999 in the UseNet.

Note 2:
This is my first try to run NetBSD on my 68k-Mac (LC II).

I installed the latest available version of NetBSD/mac68k on my Mac LC II.
Btw: The base.tgz some weeks ago was corrupt/broken, wasn't it? Ok, now the
installation process ran through and base.tgz, kern.tgz and etc.tgz were
installed. Then I made the devices. Looked fine so far.

In the minishell I did some ls-ing and everything seemed to be in its
place, esp. /sbin/init.

Then I tried to boot the machine. The messages rolled down the screen until
the process stopped. Some of the last lines read:

boot device: sd1
root on sd1a dumbs on sd1b
root files system type: ffs
exec /sbin/init: error 8
init: not found
panic: no init
Stopped in init at _cpu_Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
db>

Then the only thing I could do was to restart the machine. I could not type
any single letter with the keyboard.

Of course I played around with the Booter options again and again ... but
no success.

Can anyone give some useful hint?

Thank you a lot,

Stefan