Subject: Re: ipnat with 3 interfaces
To: robjennings@powersurfr.com <robjennings@powersurfr.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/2002 17:14:59
Hi,

> This took approximately 15 minutes to configure in spite of the fact that
> is my first experience with NetBSD or any UNIX-style operating system
> in general.  I'm really appreciative of the work done by the NetBSD
> developers and the individuals responsible for the documentation and
> FAQs.

Great! Most people complain about the documentation - I guess it's getting
better!

> At this point I'd like to connect an LC II to the IIci on ae2.  I'd like to
> provide Internet access to the LC II.  The LC II is running Mac OS 7.1.
>
> I tried configuring ae2 as 192.168.0.2.  I configured the LC II as
> 192.168.0.4 and specified 192.168.0.2 as the default router.

If you have a hub, and the netmasks on the first ethernet card are large
(not 255.255.255.252, but more like something like 255.255.255.0), then
you can add the LC II to the hub, set it up as 192.168.0.4 with the
default gateway set to 192.168.0.1.

> That didn't work.  I could not ping the LC II.  Ping would respond that the
> host was down.

What's going on is that you're trying to configure the ethernet cards with
overlapping networks, which won't work as you expect.

> Were the packets intended for the LC II travelling down ae1?  Do I need
> to put ae2 and the LC II on a different network like 192.168.1.x?

One fix is to put the LC II on the same network / card as the iMac. The
other fix is to use 192.168.1.x (or anything different).

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs