Subject: Re: ide installation
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Takeo Kuwata <tkuwata@virus.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/2002 18:09:41
Hi,

>from the IDE mini HOWTO

Now, you can easily install NetBSD into IDE HD. Mr. Shibagaki improved his
IDE-patched kernel.

>Sadly, I cannot even solve the first step: how do I partition my harddrive?
>all the programs mentioned in the install.html file from netbsd-1.5.2 are
>either commercial products or scsi-only.

You can use an instkernel to install NetBSD to IDE disk. You do not need make
A/UX partititons before the install process.  After partitioning your IDE HD by
Drive Setup (or others), you can convert partitions from HFS to BSD(?), and
newfs partitions in the instkernel. The IDE-patched instkernel is available in

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ie9t-sbgk/NetBSD/ide_support/netbsd-INSTALL+wdc+espf
ix-1.5ZA.gz

After partitioning your HD, select this kernel in booter. After booting, ther
is nothing different from the install to other machine.

Mr. Shibagaki also made new kernel.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ie9t-sbgk/NetBSD/ide_support/netbsd+wdc+fpefix-1.5ZA
.gz

I and others could install NetBSD to IDE HD in PF/LC630 (68040) by this
procedure. It is not difficult to install NetBSD to Quadra/Performa/LC630 if
you can use full 68040.

tkuwata (Takeo Kuwata)
e-mail: tkuwata@mac.com
WWW: http://ringo.mine.nu