Subject: Re: ide installation
To: None <schaecsn@gmx.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/2002 00:31:15
At 3:31 AM +0200 3/31/02, schaecsn@gmx.net wrote:
>Hi,
>

>>  Who told you that you couldn't install MacOS from floppies? System
>>  7.5.3 floppy images can be found at:
>>

>http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/
>
>I'm a first time mac user. still very unfamiliar to me.
>
>the files you mention are what I have downloaded. I put all the files in one
>directory. the first file has the suffix "smi" and the others have the
>suffix "part". I thought I get some floppy images by clicking on
>them but I just
>got a big virtual drive consisting of the contents of all the 19 files.

Oops...that's what I get for not looking before posting.

All Systems up through 7.5.0, even when they came on CD, were
designed to be installed from floppies. The CDs were arranged with
folders for each floppy disk.

I just put images for the floppies from my LC580 installation CD (7.5.0) Here:

http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk1.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk2.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk3.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk4.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk5.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk6.img.sit
http://homepage.mac.com/mikeride/InstallDisk7.img.sit

You can download the floppy images for the updaters to take you up to
7.5.3rev2 or 7.5.5 from right near the URL I mentioned in the other
email.

HTH, & sorry for the confusion,
Mike
--