Subject: ide installation
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <schaecsn@gmx.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/2002 03:31:52
HI Mac Folks,

I just got a Quadra 630 and a Performa 636CD. I do understand that the
latter is not supported by NetBSD (I think I should check out Linux, next) but the
Quadra is supported.

I learned from the mailing list that IDE support is possible (but very
difficult). here are the first bunch of questions - be sure, more are yet to come
;-)

from the IDE mini HOWTO
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/portmac68k/2001/12/03/0004.html I downloaded the kernel netbsd+wdc+espfix=1.5Y.gz. Do I need
base.tgz from exaclty netbsd-1.5Y or can I also use an elf snapshot?

Sadly, I cannot even solve the first step: how do I partition my harddrive?
all the programs mentioned in the install.html file from netbsd-1.5.2 are
either commercial products or scsi-only.

the above mentioned mini howto suggests to use a power-pc .... well that's
what I don't have to offer. The only other IDE computer is a 486 running
linux. will the following work:

- plug my mac-ide disk into my 486 and repartition it. unfortunately, fdisk
doesn't know about the magic number of A/UX partititon. suggestions?

- I do still need a mac-os partition to boot from, right? via floppies I can
reinstall mac-os
7.0.1 or so without problems!?

- I have the bad feeling that mkfs.sea.hqx doesn't work with ide disks. I
assume there exist netbsd-i386 bootfloppies I can boot my 486 and create on the
mac-ide a netbsd filesystem. then, I copy base.tgz, etc.tgz etc on it. will
MAKEDEV for mac work for a mac  target?

any ideas?

Will IDE installation be fully supported in 1.6?

Thanks
 - Stefan

http://www.gmx.net