Subject: Re: [Newbie] How to read this info?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2002 15:21:48
Quoting "Michael G. Schabert" <mikeride@mac.com>:

> At 11:53 AM +0100 3/25/02, Pieter Coolsma wrote:
> >Checking the /etc/master.passwd file:
> >Login toor is off but still has a valid shell (/bin/sh)
>
> This is normal...toor is a safety net in case root is screwy for some
> reason. I don't know anyone who has ever needed to use it, but it's
> there by default.

Yes, you do! :-)  I had a system that I mistyped the password the same way
twice and couldn't get back in.  It wouldn't have been bad, but it was the
master replication server, so I was locked out of 22 production
servers.  'toor' saved my life.  When you absolutely can't reboot to go to
single user mode, toor can be your best friend.

--
Dave Burgess
Chief Technology Officer