Subject: Re: Booter: "Failed to read kernel image header" on custom kernel
To: Reinier Jonker <rjgjonker@xs4all.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2002 13:06:34
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Reinier Jonker wrote:

> On donderdag, maart 28, 2002, at 06:25 PM, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > Is the kernel build directory on the same partition as root? If so,
> > "mv" doesn't really move the file from the high numbered cylinders;
> > it just updates the root directory with the location of where it is
> > already, which triggers the known bug in the Booter.
> >
> > Try "install" instead. For now, try
> >
> > 	ln netbsd netbsd.foo
> > 	install -r netbsd.foo /netbsd
> >
> > and then try to boot from "netbsd".
>
> Okay, done that. But now the booter hangs right after the "So I sez to
> him..."-message. What's wrong? This really appears to be a kernel
> fault...

Ah, but the symptom changed? So maybe there's something to it. When I
first encountered that bug, it drove me nuts the way it would come and
go almost without rhyme or reason.

One way to rule out the kernel, would be if the same kernel can be
booted from the HFS partition. If you have no better way, you can use
"cpout netbsd netbsd" from within the Installer's minishell.

Frederick