Subject: Re: NetBSD mac68k ELF (was: Re: Kernel compile error)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/2002 18:50:49
Hi Allen et. al.

It seems that - after all - I understoud (in a way) what ELF was.

Anyway, thank you Allen, now I know what ELF is. Your explanation is clear.

Have a nice day,

Emile

Allen Briggs wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:53:38AM +0100, Emile Schwarz wrote:
> > Is ELF “just a new way” to build NetBSD (and Unix/Linux stuff) ?
>
> I don't know if this will help, but...
>
> Computer programs are just binary data, at some level, but there are
> different kinds of data: program code, data, debugging information, etc..
> In order to make sense of the binary data, we have to arrange it somehow.
> The traditional way to do this in BSD systems is in a format called
> "a.out" -- it defines where the program code is, where the data is,
> where the first instruction of the program code is, and so forth.
> Another, more flexible and more widely used (now), format is ELF.
>
> Really, it shouldn't matter to you at all, except that you are moving
> from one format to another, and they're not quite compatible.
>
> -allen
>
> --
>  Allen Briggs                     briggs@wasabisystems.com
>  http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
> NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...

/~\ The ASCII        “If I’d lived in Roman times, I’d lived in Rome.
\ / Ribbon Campaign  Where else ?  Today America is the Roman Empire
 X  Against HTML     and New York is Rome itself.”
/ \ Email!           John Winston-Ono Lennon, early 70’s.