Subject: Serial ports, booting, and my poor IIci
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Espinoza <mespinoza41@mchsi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/2002 20:34:51
I've been trying to get netbsd/mac68k current-20020114 working on my
IIci for the last three days, not a long period of time by any means,
but since all of my hardware is suppposedly supported I am somewhat
dismayed.

I am using a Macintosh IIci with 32MB of ram (According to About This
Macintosh...), a 2gb disk which I have successfully partitioned as
proscribed in the documentation, and mkfs'd. I am using the latest
booter, installer, et cetera. I have a 3Com Etherlink/NB, which is
detected. I am using an AUI transceiver and have actually gotten the
machine into a state in which it responded to pings, once. Video on this
machine is provided via Apple 8*24 GC, and a Mac Two-Page Mono display.

First of all, I have in fact succeeded in doing a basic install of
netbsd/mac68k. I installed all of the packages except for X, and was
able to boot to serial console, single user. When I tried to boot
without serial console, I got a cnopen error. I observed a suggestion
that the fix was to "cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV wscons" in one of the mailing
list archives, but this did not actually fix my problem.

After running into this I upgraded my System software from 7.1.1 to
7.5.3. I didn't think it would have any bearing on netbsd, but I thought
it might be a good idea.

Now, when I try to use the serial console, it doesn't work. I tried
using an old version of Microphone LT to talk to the serial port, and
that doesn't work even when I hook up a loopback (IE, I plug in a modem
cable and short pins two and three together on the DB25 end.) So now I
assume that something has caused my serial ports not to work, though I
have no idea what it is. I tested the device I am using for a terminal
(my laptop) via the same means, and it passes a serial loopback test.
I'm using the same cables that I used once successfully, but now nothing
works. I even tried a different mac serial->DB25 cable to see if that
would fix my problem.

At this point, I am very stuck. Do I keep trying to work with my current
(possibly damaged) install, or do I mkfs AGAIN and reinstall AGAIN?
(I've done it once already.)

As for where things break down when I try to boot without serial
console: Either it hangs at ADB initialization/detection (while
initializing adb0, it stops at "adb"), or it hangs right after it says
"root file system: ffs" with the following error:

panic: cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

Stopped in pid 7 (init) at      _cpu_Debugger+0x6:      unlk    a6

I think I got the spacing right, it's hard to tell when you're writing
it down on paper and walking to another machine :) Not like that should
really matter, but you never know, eh?

SO, is this just that I need something new in dev? If so, please tell me
the device name, major, and minor, so I can create it from the
installer. And please please please help me with my serial ports. I've
already tried zapping the pram (via the boot key cmd-opt-p-r combo, not
with a utility or anything) and that didn't help, it had no effect at
all except resetting my mouse speed, which I expected. If I at least had
a working serial console I might be able to tinker on the thing, but I
can't even get to a prompt.