Subject: Re: Portrait mono display
To: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2002 21:50:21
At 15:27 Uhr +0100 6.3.2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:
>> Why shouldn't it? I don't know about 4 bit greyscale, though. You probably
>> have to have 2 MBytes VRAM in the box or live with 1 bit b/w.
>
>If X needs 2 MB of VRAM for a 600x800 (approximatively) 4-bit screen,
>something is seriously wrong.

X11 uses the same memory map as MacOS, but does not support 2/4 bit depth.

I may have remembered this wrong. I got a Radius Full Page monitor for home
use shortly before they cancelled the model, and that was more or less the
last of the breed (late '95). It is the screen I'm sitting in front of now.

Back then, I had it hanging off a Micron Xceed card with half a meg VRAM
which gave me 640x870x4. So, for 8 bit depth with a portrait screen, one
meg will probably be enough. Even 1152x870x8 would fit in there, but,
according to some Apple technote, they required 2 MBytes for performance
reasons (memory layout). I've got a Q700 with that configuration hanging
off a DEC VT19-HA.

>OTOH, X doesn't support anything but mono on mac68k anyway.

1 bit, 8 bit greyscale or 16 bit "hi-colour" for the later Quadras.

> And beware of the "small" screen size. Whereas it is perfectly
> workable in MacOS, X, which was designed for 20" screens,
> will devour it before you can say "xclock".

=8)

I started off with X11 on an SE/30...

	hauke

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order