Subject: Re: Portrait mono display
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/2002 15:27:09
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 23:31 Uhr -0500 5.3.2002, Andy Ball wrote:
> >Does anyone here happen to know whether I can plug an Apple portrait
> >monochrome display into the on-board video port of a Quadra 700?
>
> You can. I did the computer part of my physics diploma on exactly that
> setup (minus NetBSD ;) in '93. Blew all the peecees out of the water.

Lovely format, a shame it died.

> >I'd also be interested in knowing whether X supports it.
>
> Why shouldn't it? I don't know about 4 bit greyscale, though. You probably
> have to have 2 MBytes VRAM in the box or live with 1 bit b/w.

If X needs 2 MB of VRAM for a 600x800 (approximatively) 4-bit screen,
something is seriously wrong.
OTOH, X doesn't support anything but mono on mac68k anyway. And beware of
the "small" screen size. Whereas it is perfectly workable in MacOS, X,
which was designed for 20" screens, will devour it before you can say
"xclock".