Subject: Re: newfs, libsa, ide and the Booter
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/2002 10:39:11
>  > 	Possible. It could be that OS X's 'newfs -O' doesn't in fact
>  > create an old-style filesystem
>
> X's UFS/FFS is slightly different from BSD's -- If you want to test
> reading NetBSD file systems, you have to use the NetBSD "newfs" to
> create the file system in the first place.

	Hmmm. Difficult.

	I tried to use NetBSD/macppc to format a partition appropriately,
but the floppy-based install kernel only seemed to be able to format the
whole disk. Not useful for the machine I am developing on!

> These problems are probably related to using X's "newfs".

	Probably, though instkernel created partitions that have
been tested by some of our Japanese users have a similar problem.

	What format does instkernel create? Does libsa/ufs.c read it?

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney, Australia |     end up owning you"      |