Subject: Re: newfs, libsa, ide and the Booter
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <sibagaki@lsi.melco.co.jp>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/2002 18:22:33
> nigel> 	Now, at first I thought it was the old ufs_open() code in
> nigel> the Booter, so over the weekend I replaced it with libsa/ufs.c.
> nigel> No change.
>
> Does "No change" mean that a situation isn't better?

	Correct. The magic number is still wrong, though it appears to
contain a large number instead of 0.

> nigel> 1) The ide_read code is bad.
> nigel>    Unlikely because, if I comment out the magic-number check,
> nigel>    ufs_open() reads and gets the diinodes, lists the files,
> nigel>    and seems to have a good attempt at reading the file data.
>
> Maybe this. A kernel isn't booted up from a partition which is made with
> a recent sysinst.  It seems same in the case of SCSI disk.

	Possible. It could be that OS X's 'newfs -O' doesn't in fact
create an old-style filesystem

> Temporary, why don't you comment out the magic-number check?

* With libsa/ufs.c, it fails a few 4K reads into parsing the fs stuff.

* With the Booter's old ufs_read.c, it locates the directory's inode,
  locates the kernel, and gets a few K into reading it in before it
  reads past the end of the partition.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au    |    "Things  you  own        |
| Telstra iDevelopments, Sydney, Australia |     end up owning you"      |