Subject: Re: Kernel Compilation Errors
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Sung N. Cho <sucho2@vt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/2002 20:59:05
Randy Beaudreault wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >First off, are you building a current kernel or simply recompiling
> >kernel with source that came with your system?
>
> I'm compiling against 1.5.2 source.
> --
> Randy Beaudreault
>
> "Spam in a can" - a description of the first astronauts
>
> "Love is like solving the perfect murder.  It's good to be good,
> but better to be lucky" - Det. Frank Pembleton
>  From the show, "Homicide: Life On The Street"

Since you are compiling from the source that came with your
distribution, then I'm guessing the error must be in your
configuration.  Have you tried compiling one of those GENERIC
configurations?  If those generic configurations compile correctly, then
it is definitely a syntax error in your config file.  If those generic
config files don't compile either, then it must be the source that's at
error.

Here are steps taken when I compile my kernel (given that tools are up
to date!)

cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf   ( I have intel type processor )
config MYKERNEL
cd ../compile/MYKERNEL
make depend && make && make install

Try compiling the GENERIC config file to just check nothing is wrong
with your source files.

Yours sincerely,
Sung N. Cho,
Saturday, Feb. 16, 2002.