Subject: Re: New snapshot
To: None <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2002 02:44:30
Hi,

From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:50:41 -0600 (CST)

fredb> You basically have to just build a toolchain with "./build.sh -t",
fredb> configure and build a kernel with "nbconfig" and "nbmake-<platform>
fredb> USETOOLS=yes", and then build the world. You also want to make sure you
fredb> move your base and X a.out shared libraries to "/emul/aout", and save
fredb> your old "ldd".

Approximately, yes, I understand. I updated to elf without binary
snapshot.

But I took a method which is different above one.
I executed,

(1) % setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot"
(2) % setenv CVS_RSH ssh
(3) % cvs co -P src ; cd src
(4) Applied a patch for elf.
(5) % setenv USETOOLS yes
(6) % setenv USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN yes
(7) % setenv DESTDIR ...
(8) % setenv RELEASEDIR ...
(9) % make release
(10) Copy $RELEASEDIR/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC[SBC].gz to bootable
      HFS partition or FFS partition.
(11) reboot with new kernel.
(12) % cd src ; make install

# I don't remember in detail, but these are almost right.

> > And people who understand well will do for themselvs. I don't recommend
> > upgrading from source. it is not sure though it might be easy.

fredb> Somebody has to be first! There are ports that haven't even switched

Does this mean upgrading from source?

fredb> yet. I predict folks will try it anyway, and ask for help. At least if
fredb> they see the procedure, they'll know not to just do a "make build".

Does this mean to support people who know nothing?

# I'm sorry, I don't understand well in detail, I'm good at
# speaking and reading and writing english.

fredb> It would also be weak to tell people to use a binary snapshot, when
fredb> "sysinstall" is known to be buggy (though the bug shouldn't affect
fredb> upgrades). Does mac68k sysinstall have the a.out -> ELF magic, yet?

??? Does it relate between upgrading elf from a.out and sysinst?

Takeshi Shibagaki
ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp