Subject: Re: New snapshot
To: None <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/2002 01:26:25
Hi,

From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:38:43 -0600 (CST)

> > Do you need how to update from source? I tried some methods but it is
> > easy and sure that a method updates from binary snapshot.

fredb> Yes. People will want to upgrade from source, and it's easy enough to
fredb> do, so why not support it?

Umm, objects compiled with a.out are nonsense. you should recompiled
with elf from the beginning, but do you want to do?

And people who understand well will do for themselvs. I don't recommend
upgrading from source. it is not sure though it might be easy.

# Because a situation often changes in -current especially.

> > In port-m68k/15514, thorpej-san will work fine though I recognize some
> > problems around gnu toolchain.

fredb> I don't understand what you're saying. As far as I know, a compile
fredb> (cross-compile?) in gnu/lib/libbfd still fails, because of VERSION being
fredb> incorrectly re-defined.

Is it -current at 6 Feb? I self-compiled -current at 3 Feb with
new-toolchain, but there is no problem here.

And new-toolchain is for only elf, so you shouldn't do build.sh -m amiga
usually. Amiga port is still a.out.

> > # I have never done i386 => m68k cross compile. There is no large problem
> > # in self compile but trivial one exists.

fredb> It'll all be just fine, once the fixes are tested and committed and
fredb> port-m68k/15514 closed. It's just that, an announcement of a formal
fredb> switch is going to lead to a lot of people installing snapshots and
fredb> upgrading from source, and we need to have all our ducks in a row. [Hope
fredb> that makes sense; I don't quite know how else to put it. :-)]

OK, this is tough works, but I will do.

> > In port-mac68k/15528, umm, I'm also going to analize.

fredb> OK! I suggest you start by looking at sys/.../mac68k/disksubr.c, to see
fredb> how the disklabel really works, and then see what sysinstall is doing
fredb> with it.

OK. I understand. I'm going to confirm the situation at first.

Takeshi Shibagaki
ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp