Subject: Re: New snapshot
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2002 13:19:51
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:

> But I took a method which is different above one.

You built to a destdir, then installed it. How about this:

	./build.sh -D destdir -R releasedir -m platform

then boot and install with the install kernel you've created?

> > > And people who understand well will do for themselvs. I don't recommend
> > > upgrading from source. it is not sure though it might be easy.
>
> fredb> Somebody has to be first! There are ports that haven't even switched
>
> Does this mean upgrading from source?

Yes, of course. Someone has to upgrade from source before you can have a
snapshot.

> fredb> yet. I predict folks will try it anyway, and ask for help. At least if
> fredb> they see the procedure, they'll know not to just do a "make build".
>
> Does this mean to support people who know nothing?

There are users (developers, portmasters) with great expertise in
particular areas, who have never had to be familiar with the new build
system, so yes, I think we should help these people.

> # I'm sorry, I don't understand well in detail, I'm good at
> # speaking and reading and writing english.
>
> fredb> It would also be weak to tell people to use a binary snapshot, when
> fredb> "sysinstall" is known to be buggy (though the bug shouldn't affect
> fredb> upgrades). Does mac68k sysinstall have the a.out -> ELF magic, yet?
>
> ??? Does it relate between upgrading elf from a.out and sysinst?

Yes, it does. Folks who have tracking current on mac68k will not be able
to do it as they have been doing it. If you say, "this is how to upgrade
from source, but you really should just use a snapshot", then
"sysinstall" had better work.

There were no reproducible procedures in place to convert from a.out to
ELF when i386 switched, so I suppose it's not essential. The whole thing
seemed rushed to me, though. (I tracked the release branch all the way
to 1.5/i386/a.out before switching, myself.)

Frederick