Subject: Re: New snapshot
To: Takeshi Shibagaki <ie9t-sbgk@asahi-net.or.jp>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/2002 10:50:41
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Takeshi Shibagaki wrote:

> > > Do you need how to update from source? I tried some methods but it is
> > > easy and sure that a method updates from binary snapshot.
>
> fredb> Yes. People will want to upgrade from source, and it's easy enough to
> fredb> do, so why not support it?
>
> Umm, objects compiled with a.out are nonsense. you should recompiled
> with elf from the beginning, but do you want to do?

You basically have to just build a toolchain with "./build.sh -t",
configure and build a kernel with "nbconfig" and "nbmake-<platform>
USETOOLS=yes", and then build the world. You also want to make sure you
move your base and X a.out shared libraries to "/emul/aout", and save
your old "ldd".

> And people who understand well will do for themselvs. I don't recommend
> upgrading from source. it is not sure though it might be easy.

Somebody has to be first! There are ports that haven't even switched
yet. I predict folks will try it anyway, and ask for help. At least if
they see the procedure, they'll know not to just do a "make build".

It would also be weak to tell people to use a binary snapshot, when
"sysinstall" is known to be buggy (though the bug shouldn't affect
upgrades). Does mac68k sysinstall have the a.out -> ELF magic, yet?

Frederick