Subject: Re: Another Newbie Question...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/2002 01:04:44
At 11:04 PM -0600 2/7/02, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Peter H. Froehlich wrote:
>
>>  On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 04:35 , Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>>
>>  > Yes, and yes. At present MacOS is needed to initialise the
>>  > hardware. There
>>  > is work in progress to allow self-booting on some systems, but
>>  > such things
>>  > would naturally be hardware-specfic.
>>
>>  Alright, that leads to another question on my part: What is the
>>  latest MacOS version that I can run on a Quadra 840AV (or a Quadra
>>  800, the other machine I have) and where do I get it? Do I have to
>>  buy an old OS from Apple? Both of my machines currently have some
>>  version of MacOS installed, but I would rather start with a "clean
>>  install" of MacOS that is as small as possible.
>
>The latest Mac OS version that will run on an m68k Mac is 8.1, but
>7.5.5, available as a free download from Apple, is more than adequate
>to the task. The "mimimal install" of 7.5.5 is no more than about
>20mb.
>
>If you want even smaller, you could download the "Disk Tools" floppy,
>replace Finder with the Booter, and populate a ~1mb partition with that.

I would much prefer the NAD disk (Network Access Disk). It is a
floppy image that has OS 7.5 plus Ethernet support on it, so that you
can grab stuff from an AFP/AppleShare volume. It will boot any
machine that can run OS7.5, and the ethernet will work with anything
that shipped from Apple. It's a great universal floppy.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.