Subject: Re: Another Newbie Question...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: O'NEEL Bruce <beoneel@bluewin.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/2002 11:03:25
Frederick Bruckman writes:
 > On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Peter H. Froehlich wrote:
 >
 > > On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 04:35 , Cameron Kaiser wrote:
 > >
 > > > Yes, and yes. At present MacOS is needed to initialise the
 > > > hardware. There
 > > > is work in progress to allow self-booting on some systems, but
 > > > such things
 > > > would naturally be hardware-specfic.
 > >
 > > Alright, that leads to another question on my part: What is the
 > > latest MacOS version that I can run on a Quadra 840AV (or a Quadra
 > > 800, the other machine I have) and where do I get it? Do I have to
 > > buy an old OS from Apple? Both of my machines currently have some
 > > version of MacOS installed, but I would rather start with a "clean
 > > install" of MacOS that is as small as possible.
 >
 > The latest Mac OS version that will run on an m68k Mac is 8.1, but
 > 7.5.5, available as a free download from Apple, is more than adequate
 > to the task. The "mimimal install" of 7.5.5 is no more than about
 > 20mb.
 >
 > If you want even smaller, you could download the "Disk Tools" floppy,
 > replace Finder with the Booter, and populate a ~1mb partition with that.

One can also use the 7.5 network install floppy and then you'll get
the chooser, ethertalk, and enough of appletalk to make it easy to
copy files to your macos partition from a netatalk equipped NetBSD
system as well.  This gives you MacOS in about 1.4 meg or so.

cheers

bruce

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden

Bruce O'Neel                       phone:  +41 22 950 91 46 (fow now)
INTEGRAL Science Data Centre               +41 22 950 91 00 (switchb.)
Chemin d'Ecogia 16                 fax:    +41 22 950 91 33
CH-1290 VERSOIX                    e-mail: Bruce.Oneel@obs.unige.ch
Switzerland                        WWW:    http://isdc.unige.ch/