Subject: Re: Proposal for new Apple Partition types
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/2002 14:07:17
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > Coincidently, I've developed a patch to do this already, and I was just
> > thinking about running it by you. I forgot about NetBSD/macppc using the
> > same disklabel, so I just gave LFS the next free bit, and made it prefer
> > the "f" slot. The mac just crashed copying a cross-built libc from the
> > an nfs mounted partition, but you can't blame LFS for that. :-)
>
> My concern is that it adds LFS support, but nothing more. While I admit
> LFS is probably the one FS type we'd most want to add, I'd rather add
> support for *all* fs types we can encode in a NetBSD Disklabel.

One thing at a time. I mostly just wanted to play with LFS on the Mac.
I real, bona-fide, editable-in-place NetBSD disklabel would be nicest of
all, but then the problem is to find a safe place to write it to...

How about... a program that can set the in-core label to whatever the
user requests, without regard to the Apple Partition table on the disk?
An "rc.d" script could load the label from "/etc/disklabels" or
"/etc/disktab" at start-up time. Of course, the root partition better
match the partition you booted from, just like the "/" entry in
"/etc/fstab" needs to match the root you booted from. This would let you
mount volumes on MSDOS disks, Apple disks, disk images, even read-only
disks, that have more partitions than can be represented in the NetBSD
disklabel, and would let you avoid surprises in NetBSD after
rearrangement or renaming of unused partitions (unused by NetBSD).

Frederick