Subject: Re: Proposal for new Apple Partition types
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/2002 11:42:13
On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > The second change is to add a valid bzb to these partition types. If one
> > is present, we then use the bzbType field to indicate what NetBSD
> > partition type to report for the partition. That way we can mark
> > partitions as having LFS file systems on them for instance. One of these
> > partitions ("NetBSD*") w/o a valid bzb would be reported as having an ffs.
>
> Coincidently, I've developed a patch to do this already, and I was just
> thinking about running it by you. I forgot about NetBSD/macppc using the
> same disklabel, so I just gave LFS the next free bit, and made it prefer
> the "f" slot. The mac just crashed copying a cross-built libc from the
> an nfs mounted partition, but you can't blame LFS for that. :-)

My concern is that it adds LFS support, but nothing more. While I admit
LFS is probably the one FS type we'd most want to add, I'd rather add
support for *all* fs types we can encode in a NetBSD Disklabel.

Also, I'd like to keep the concept of "root" and "user" as seperate
things, so that for instance you can have an LFS root if you wanted. It
would just be a "root" partition that was of type LFS.

Also, it'd be nice to be able to have raid partitions on an
Apple-partitioned disk. :-)

> I'm also looking at adding the capability to make an LFS partition from
> within the installer. That's when I noticed that the disklabel faking is
> borked (PR 15528).

[snip]

> Also on my wish list would be support for the Apple MSDOS compatible
> partitions, but I forgot how to make one under Mac OS, or I threw away
> the extension, or something.

Ahh. I'd like that too. The main question is what fs type to use.
Apple_MSDOS? :-)

Take care,

Bill