Subject: Re: serial ports
To: Byan, Stephen <Stephen_Byan@Maxtor.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/2002 17:14:42
> > There's a MacOS product called IPNetRouter that does what I want, but
> > it's $90.  Since this is for a hobby project, I don't want to
> > spend the
> > cash on that... :(
>
> Apple's LocalTalk Bridge control panel was and may still be available as a
> free download. Install it on an old Mac equipped with an ethernet port and
> use that as your ethernet to localtalk bridge. I use an old Mac IIci with an
> ethernet card running System 7.5.5.

It is indeed still available and I use it myself. I'd juice up the system,
though. A Daystar card would be optimal, since the LTB needs good CPU power
to get decent throughput. Copying about a megabyte from my Power Mac to my
"refurb" PB1400 over EtherTalk-to-LocalTalk took a good minute or so.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Death to spammers! http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ -----------------------------