Subject: Re: Booting without MacOS (yet again)
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2002 10:34:59
On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Michael R. Zucca wrote:

> At 10:02 PM -0500 1/31/02, Nyef wrote:
> >Hello all.
> >
> >I finally got it all put together, loading a compressed 1.5.1 kernel file
> >from an FFS floppy without MacOS started on my SE/30 (thanks to libsa and
> >libz). Unfortunately, it doesn't work and I haven't been able to figure
> >out why not (either it locks up when jumping to the kernel or I got the
> >video information wrong).
>
> Awesome!
>
> Just a few questions:
> How did you make an FFS floppy with the MacOS boot blocks? Did you just
> start FFS after the bootblocks?

There's an 8k area at the start of any FFS image for boot code.

> If you want to know the exact arguments passed to the kernel at boot why
> not just print them out at startup in the NetBSD kernel, like in machdep.c
> or something. Boot that kernel with a normal booter and write down the
> args. Then pass the same arguments to the kernel from your booter. That
> way, you can at least know the problem isn't argument passing.

Hrm... The values the booter environment dump listed are rather
wrong-looking. I'll try to hack up machdep.c tonight or something. Pity it
takes so long to build a kernel on an IIcx...

> Are you loading the kernel at the right address?

I believe so. It gets copied to linear 0, right?

> I'd love to take a look at your code soon.

As I said, http://www.dridus.com/~nyef/macboot/macboot6.tgz
It'll be there for quite a while, so when you get the chance...

>  Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
>  "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald

All programming can be viewed as an exercise.
Alastair Bridgewater
e-mail: nyef@softhome.net