Subject: Re: Booting without MacOS (yet again)
To: Nyef <nyef@softhome.net>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/2002 08:28:45
At 10:02 PM -0500 1/31/02, Nyef wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I finally got it all put together, loading a compressed 1.5.1 kernel file
>from an FFS floppy without MacOS started on my SE/30 (thanks to libsa and
>libz). Unfortunately, it doesn't work and I haven't been able to figure
>out why not (either it locks up when jumping to the kernel or I got the
>video information wrong).

Awesome!

Just a few questions:
How did you make an FFS floppy with the MacOS boot blocks? Did you just
start FFS after the bootblocks?

If you want to know the exact arguments passed to the kernel at boot why
not just print them out at startup in the NetBSD kernel, like in machdep.c
or something. Boot that kernel with a normal booter and write down the
args. Then pass the same arguments to the kernel from your booter. That
way, you can at least know the problem isn't argument passing.

Are you loading the kernel at the right address?

I'd love to take a look at your code soon.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org
 "I'm too old to use Emacs." -- Rod MacDonald