Subject: Interesting Appletalk problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/2002 18:41:11
This is actually a more general AppleTalk issue, but anyway ...

Thanks to a very generous list member here I got a LocalTalk card for my
utility 486 and software, which I installed and set-up. Using my MacOS IIci
running LocalTalk Bridge, it can see the whole of the apartment network,
including the LaserWriter, the Power Mac, the MacOS IIci itself and last
but not least, the NetBSD Mac IIci running 1.4.2 and AppleTalk 1.3 (not asun).

The PC browses everything (and can even translate to PostScript for the
LaserWriter -- wow!) *except* the NetBSD IIci. The Power Mac can be accessed
over bridged LocalTalk-to-EtherTalk, so I doubt this is a LocalTalk Bridge
issue. However, the PC just can't mount any of the shares offered by the
NetBSD IIci, even though everything else mounts fine; I get some 'File/folder
does not exist' error and even though it logs on nothing will mount.

Before I go wasting my time with new drivers, new atalk dist, etc., I just
wanted to see if this sounds familiar to anyone. I'm really quite impressed
with the setup, though. Getting LocalTalk running was easier than getting
its Ethernet working. :-P

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Wagner's music is better than it sounds. -- Mark Twain ---------------------