Subject: Re: more newbie questions
To: til <tsteinmetz@khm.de>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/2002 17:36:58
On Wednesday, January 30, 2002, at 05:33  pm, til wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Finally, after trying a couple of Versions of NetBSD on my Quadra 700,
> i managed to get a working v1.5.2 system. I wanted to use only one
> ethernet adapter because i have a farallon nic with pc-AUI style
> adapter and a RJ45 Transceiver but only coax for the apple AUI.
>
> pppoe and NAT works with one NIC (the farallon card as /dev/ae0)
> Unfortunately i am getting low transfer rates (max 35-40k / sec) on my
> 768kbit dsl line which should be about 70-80k/s. Does anyone know if
> this is caused by using only one network adapter or is a quadra 700 too
> slow to get more throughput ? Or might re-compiling a new kernel help ?

Greetings. Welcome to NetBSD!

For my money, I'd say that the problem -probably- lies with your network
adaptor.

Check, however, that you aren't running Squid or some other proxy which
is causing lots of disk accesses on the Quadra... which are likely to
slow it down.

I don't know how Processor intensive pppoe is, but I've easily maxed out
my LAN with even a IIcx, when using FTP.

Take care,

~ Matthew