Subject: Kernel Config questions
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <8se2frjffa4001@sneakemail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/2002 16:17:35
I'm playing around with 1.5.2 on an SE/30.  This machine has 128 MB of RAM (due to my recent investment of $30), a 1.2 GB hard drive, and has an ethernet adapter (ae0 at nubus0 slot 9: MacCon 30si, 32KB memory--from my dmesg).

I was hoping to "simply" custom-roll a kernel, which would be a first for me on any Linux/BSD system, but I'm not sure about a few of the options from the GENERIC conf file.  Naturally, I will make a few different kernels eventually, but I would rather not spend the hours compiling to test them if someone can tell me what these options mean.

Of course, if there is a reference somewhere, that would be great, but some searching hasn't told me which pseudo-devices I need and so on.  If someone could point me to an authoritative primer on these compiling options I'd appreciate it.

For example, this machine will not do any NAT; it has only one ethernet port.  I have no storage devices except for the SCSI drive, and I think I only need to be able to read the BSD file system (UFS, right?).  However, with the
amount of RAM in this thing a RAMdisk might be a nice way to squeeze some speed.  The SPOT config file in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf looks like a good starting point, but there are a few different options in the GENERIC file that I'm not sure how to handle (GRF_COMPAT, ALTXBUTTONS), and I'm not sure if I will need bpfilter, ipfilter, ppp (since I have an ethernet
connection through a Linux box doing all the NAT for my intranet), tun, grf, and ite.

Harry

Protect yourself from spam, use http://sneakemail.com