Subject: Re: ELF package binaries for NetBSD-current
To: Reinier Jonker <rjgjonker@xs4all.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/2002 12:51:36
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Reinier Jonker wrote:

>> Should be. If you build a custom kernel, be sure to leave all the
>> COMPAT_* options in, that are in the default, generic kernel. Note that
>> you won't be able to build ELF binaries against a.out shared libraries,
>> so if you do have to build something ELF, you'll need to build all the
>> pre-requisites, too.
>
> My core sets are also ELFNT -currents. Do I need aditional libraries
> from older NetBSD releases?

No, if you stick to the 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 packages. It's a good idea to
leave COMPAT_13 &c in the kernel anyway, though, because you don't know
really know if a binary needs them until it fails (you can build a
binary against 1.5 that calls a compat_13() syscall, and not even know.)
In theory, 1.4.1 and 1.4 packages should work with the compat14
libraries, too, but I would avoid them, because developers weren't
thinking about forward compatibility back then, quite so much as they
are today.

Frederick