Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD.... inc. apology :)
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/2002 14:21:01
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 06:48:25PM -0700, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>
> > - time server (there be dragons here)
>
> completely unusable unless you want to break out the SMT soldering gear,
> razor, and magnet wire to swap physical interrupt lines.  apple in their
> infinite stuck-in-1984 wisdom decided that the clock interrupt takes
> lowest priority, and if you're getting network traffic or disk I/O, the
> clock interrupt gets starved out and NTP can't really deal with it.

Time server need not rely on the (internal) RTC for it's sense
of time.  (think GPS receiver, radioclock, etc. Heck, even an RTC
dangling off a serial port via a "one wire" interface would do the
trick!)

Though *something* is neede to connect said clock source to the NT
protocol!  :>  A small Mac seems like a great choice!

--don