Subject: Re: Imaging.
To: None <paul@abyss.co.nz>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/2002 20:57:49
> I've got my NetBSD server pretty much set up how I want it now, What I would
> like to do is make a TAR image of the box.
> What I would like to know is, If I tar and gzip the / partition, can I use
> the installer to push the setup directly back onto the box should it "hose"
> itself? What are the implications of doing this?

I doubt you'd have a problem restoring this way; store the .tar.gz off
somewhere, and should you need it again, mkfs the disk, install a minimal
system (enough to boot and run tar and gunzip), cpio your .tar.gz backup
from the installer mini-shell, and then boot into single user and expand your
backup out. Make sure you give tar the -p option when you expand the backup
so that permissions and ownership are also restored.

Note that I use 1.4.2 and 'the old fashioned way' so there might be a nicer
way with the sysinst kernel; I defer to competent authority on that.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- You've got to have a gimmick if your band sucks. -- Gary Giddens -----------