Subject: What to do with an LCIII.....
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/2002 11:18:57
Well yes it still only takes up to 36MB of RAM (unless your are
crazy and feel like buying a 64MB SIMM!) but as you say it's has a
32-bit data path (or whatever). It's more like an LC 475 on dope
(with a decent processor of course :) ) than an LCII on speed. It
is slow, especially in OS 7.5.5.
It's not the quickest Unix machine I've used either (I have run
Linux on an Athlon 1.2GHz PC though!) - SSH takes an age to log in
from another machine and it's down for 2 minutes at the beginning
of every hour while it regenerates the RSA keys (I could change
that to 5 hours or whatever but I can't remember how - Newbie
amnesia). It'll do me. I don't really know if I can even be
bothered to do the IMAP thing now as I realise it'd probably be a
lot of effort to slow down my e-mail. It'll live on my desk as a
testament to the power of 68k Macs (*choke*) and their longevity
(it's 10 years old this year :) ) and I'm facing the hardship of
having to sell my Blue & White G3 so I need it to stop my iBook
getting lonely.

I'll play with it and see where I get. Probably nowhere but hey :)

--

Mark Benson

aka
	SiliconValleyPirate (EveryMac)
	Kane_NUFC (Yahoo! Messenger)
	SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
	AirportMan (ICQ - 70745942)

Sent using Mac OS X Mail

"The future, where beings appear from an alien environment, ready
to work together in a spirit of harmony and understanding. No it's
not, It's three accountants from New York who want to borrow your
Mac to run Windows.
Power Macintosh is here. The future is better than you'd expected....."

	- Apple wax lyrical about PowerMacs with DOS cards....
	  Oh how I laughed ;)