Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Mark Benson , Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/2001 14:08:16
At 1:36 PM -0500 12/31/01, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>At 2:29 PM +0000 12/31/01, Mark Benson wrote:
>>  I also know that OS X doesn't use 'hosts' unless int's in single user mode.
>
>Not true. OSX uses NetInfo for its resolution. You can do the
>equivalent of a hosts file with entries in the netinfo
>database...but then you'd be doing the OSX machine separately from
>the rest. Alternatively, the NetInfo database contains a directive
>that tells the computer what lookup order to use. You just need to
>stick /etc/hosts in there.

Sorry, I only included 1/2 the solution...
niutil -read . /locations/lookupd/hosts
will show you the current status. To change this, you can add the
following information to netinfo, where lookupd gets its
configuration:

    path: /locations/lookupd/hosts
    key: LookupOrder
    value: CacheAgent, FFAgent, DNSAgent, NIAgent

You can use NetinfoManager, nicl, or niutil to do this.  Check the man
pages for lookupd and friends before doing this

Staying entirely within NetInfo:
Start NetInfoManager, go to the machines directory, authenticate and
duplicate an entry. Edit the Copy of ... to contain the correct IP
and name. Save this entry. Repeat for all hosts.

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.