Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/2001 11:07:14
>Anyone know a nice, easy to follow How To for setting up Named?
>Ditto for SSHD?
>
>Here's my current problems.
>
>Named:
>
>I have no named.conf file and it needs one to run (understandable).
>I can't make head nor tail of MAN files for either daemon - I never
>have been able to extract the right info from the bloody things. I
>need a 'default' settings file for named and info on how to set up a
>DNS list.

To all here, apply the K.I.S.S. method.  Keep It Simple.  To do this
you have to ask what is the purpose of running DNS for his system.
Do you just want to bypass your ISP's DNS servers Mark?  If so then a
caching-only serving would work just fine for you.  In this case
configuration is as simple as creating a symbolic link from
/etc/named.conf to /etc/namedb/named.conf and editing the 127,
localhost, and localhost.v6 files and changing the netbsd.org and
***.netbsd.org entries to your LCIII's hostname and root.hostname (in
my case, use whatever user maintains the files in place of root).

>SSHd:

<snip>

Someone got this one already.