Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: NetBSD/mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/2001 19:13:10
Don Yuniskis skrev:

>Sorry, I don't do windows...

At least in Windows 95, you can put a file named "hosts" or "hosts.txt" in
C:\WINDOWS (or wherever your installation is located). It is even mentioned
somewhere in the help files.

>>asked the hostname. I would but I thought NAMED did that. I
>>dispare, you guys can be so discouraging at times....

>No, we try to produce solutions that fit your needs AS PERCEIVED.
>Most folks "at home" are dealing with a handful of hosts.
>It's just plain silly to set up DNS when a simple text file
>(hosts(5)) gives you all that functionality.  Especially on
>legacy iron.

I agree. Usually, UNIX people tend to come up with unnecessarily complex
solutions for simple newbie needs.

>>whole reason I want to set up a DNS is that I want it to be able to
>>tell ANY computer a name for itself or other computers.
>>Everytime I ask you just put up a wall and say 'don't go
>>there'.Well my friend managed it in Linux so I can do it too. So
>>tell me - is there any info on it around or am I just going to go
>>on asking until I go blue?

>Get a copy of BOG.  Buy the OReilly book.  Read the man pages.
>What else do you want?  A yellow book titled "BIND for Dummies"?
>:>

Go here, this guide deals with most matters which a NetBSD newbie will
encounter, including setting up "named".

>I ran things here with hosts(5) for a long time just to *avoid*
>dealing with DNS.  But, now have too many hosts to manually
>maintain that database.

Same here, but it turned out that some TCP/IP implementations didn't support
the hosts file, and copying it around the network turned out to be chore.
OTOH, if all you want is a network distributed hosts file, DNS is quite
complicated. I'd be very happy if someone invented a DNS server which would
just take your hosts file and shut up.

>>If it's any motivation the very existence of my LCIII depends on
>>this....

>I just tossed out a few LC II's because I couldn't find anything
>*small* enough for them to do... :-/  Even serving X proved to
>be too costly!  And I don't think they keep good enough time
>to act as NTP servers...  (though I think the LC III -- or maybe
>the III+? -- has a 32 bit data path which would help...)

The LCIII is the same as the Performa 450, with a 030/25 and 32-bit memory. So
it's not really an LC at all, only crippled due to its size, without any
deliberate construction errors.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

Systemmeddelande: Nu är klockan Front!

(Läsa) nästa kommentar --> tid

Tiden just nu: Lördag 20 oktober 2001  2:42

Din tid tar slut om 35 minuter.

      En natt på Fabbes BBS