Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/2001 12:59:54
At 8:49 AM -0700 12/31/01, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>  >>>> A good book to have on your bookshelf -- though be sure to get the

While a single chapter in The Big Red Book can't compare to the
entire DNS and BIND manual, I do think that it provides more than
enough information to setup a good-sized name server. Of course, the
edition of the book will be important, as BIND has changed some
things with bind 8, whereas my book was current to bind 4.9.x.

>  >>> The red book (2nd edition) is a little old.  The purple book (3rd
>>>
>>>  Ah, I guess it pays to have added the parenthetical question mark!  :>
>>
>>Yes it does.  I just wanted to make sure that they didn't go looking for a
>>version that doesn't really show up any more.
>>
>>>  I'm still playing with the gold/yellow (1st edition) book...  :>
>>
>>Damn!
>

>Heh heh heh... most of the core information is "close enough".
>It's really *subjects* that you want to be reminded of, not
>*specifics* (since those change from release to release and
>OS to OS) so I haven't found anything worthwhile to entice
>me to "upgrade"... (though didn't 2nd Ed. have a CD of utilities?)

Yep :-)

Here's a snippet from the "About the CD-ROM" section of the book:

The date your CD was harvested is printed on front of the disc. If
the disc is more than a year old, some of the contents may be out of
date. Updates will be available on an approximately yearly basis; to
order the latest version, call 1-800-ADMIN-CD or send email to:
cd-order@admin.com.

My CD was harvested in June of '95. Note that much on the CD is
standard stuff found in pkgsrc or the base system (and more
up-to-date)...vixie cron, nvi, nearly the entire GNU distribution,
yadda yadda. However, it does contain some kewl stuff, such as the
sample policies that can be useful to admins, and all RFCs.

Just my thoughts,
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.