Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/2001 14:29:27
On Sunday, December 30, 2001, at 06:19 PM, Don Yuniskis wrote:

>> Anyone know a nice, easy to follow How To for setting up Named?
>> Ditto for SSHD?
>
> Yes, but I'm not ready to "publish" them yet... :>

Doh...
> Do you even *need* a name server?  If you have 1 or 2
> hosts, use /etc/hosts as a static database and configure
> the resolver to use that.  If you want to connect to outside
> hosts, point the resolver at your ISP's DNS.

The problem is that I have a desk with 4 computers on it. They all
have different IP addresses (obviously) and I communicate between
the m *alot* (most of the day) to share files, use SSH and FTP and
share the internet. I am getting monumentally hacked off with
typing in IP addresses and I keep forgetting which one belongs to
which machine. Names, on the other hand, would make them a lot
easier to talk to. I already mirror my ISP's DNS servers across the
network using an OS X program via my iBook (the only one with a 56k
Modem that works) so that isn't the problem. I'd love to do it just
using the 'hosts' file but this is not an ideal world. I cant find
a way to predefine hosts in Windows XP, I also know that OS X
doesn't use 'hosts' unless int's in single user mode. Add to that
the fact I don't really want to leave an OS X box on over night
(I'd rather the hard disk in my LC burned out than the one in my
G3!) and you see where I'm coming from?

If I could setup a file on my LCIII that just told everything that
asked the hostname. I would but I thought NAMED did that. I
dispare, you guys can be so discouraging at times....

I know your only trying to stop me getting into a mess but I like
playing around and getting something to work. Give me a line here!

> Don't set up DNS if you don't know what you are doing since
> mistakes there will just *increase* traffic on the 'net
> with no positive results for you...

I'm really not being insulting here but you guys can be a bit short
sighted to be honest, nearly everything you recommend is a specific
solution to Unix systems. I know it may be because that is what you
know best an I admire that (it's better than being Windows only ppl
after all!) but I am trying to do a cross platform solution here
and most of the stuff you suggest just won't work on other OSs. The
whole reason I want to set up a DNS is that I want it to be able to
tell ANY computer a name for itself or other computers.
Everytime I ask you just put up a wall and say 'don't go
there'.Well my friend managed it in Linux so I can do it too. So
tell me - is there any info on it around or am I just going to go
on asking until I go blue?

If it's any motivation the very existence of my LCIII depends on
this....

--

Mark Benson

aka
  	SiliconValleyPirate (EveryMac)
	Kane_NUFC (Yahoo! Messenger)
	SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
	AirportMan (ICQ - 70745942)

Sent using Mac OS X Mail

'Finally in Steve [Jobs] we have a leader whom the people at Apple
are willing to follow. All he has to do is bend his eyebrow the
wrong way and people will do what he wants'
	- Chris Espinosa (Apple Employee No. 8) on why they needed Steve back!