Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/2001 11:19:30
>Anyone know a nice, easy to follow How To for setting up Named?
>Ditto for SSHD?

Yes, but I'm not ready to "publish" them yet... :>

>Here's my current problems.
>
>Named:
>
>I have no named.conf file and it needs one to run (understandable).
>I can't make head nor tail of MAN files for either daemon - I never
>have been able to extract the right info from the bloody things. I
>need a 'default' settings file for named and info on how to set up
>a DNS list.

Do you even *need* a name server?  If you have 1 or 2
hosts, use /etc/hosts as a static database and configure
the resolver to use that.  If you want to connect to outside
hosts, point the resolver at your ISP's DNS.

Don't set up DNS if you don't know what you are doing since
mistakes there will just *increase* traffic on the 'net
with no positive results for you...

>SSHd:
>
>I have an SSHd.conf in place and it looks identical to the OS X
>version, sshd_config (I guess there's a good reason for that ;) ).
>However, when I start it it complains of having 'no host keys
>available - exiting' twice. It can't find /etc/ssh_host_key and
>/etc/ssh_host_dsa_key. The reason being that they don't exist. Is
>there a way to first time generate these keys?

/etc/rc.conf is your friend.   AFAIK, you could also start sshd
by hand and let it build them for you.  You may also want
to distribute keys to /etc/ssh_known_hosts (?) on each box
as well as ~/.ssh/accepted_keys (grrr... may have misremembered
those filenames... too lazy to telnet to a box and check for sure)

>I'll get the hang of this one day I swear :).....

HTH,
--don