Subject: Re: Easy to follow NAMED & SSHD....
To: Mark Benson , Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/2001 19:54:24
At 12:37 AM +0000 12/30/01, Mark Benson wrote:
>Anyone know a nice, easy to follow How To for setting up Named?
>Ditto for SSHD?
>
>Here's my current problems.
>
>Named:
>
>I have no named.conf file and it needs one to run (understandable).
>I can't make head nor tail of MAN files for either daemon - I never
>have been able to extract the right info from the bloody things. I
>need a 'default' settings file for named and info on how to set up a
>DNS list.

what do you mean a DNS list? Are you the "master of your own domain"
as it were? If you're not a primary DNS server for a domain, then you
can just set yourself up as a slave...or you don't even have to run
named at all...just put a file /etc/resolv.conf with the info that
you have in the DNS portion of the TCP/IP control panel.

If you truly are the master of a domain, then you *REALLY* had better
learn what the heck you're doing before starting. My suggestion is to
buy "The System Administration Handbook", by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass,
Hein. It will show you real examples of this and so many other
details of running a un*x system.

#
# Resolv.conf
#
domain  primarydomain.com
# nameserver    127.0.0.1
nameserver      ns1.yourisp.com
nameserver      ns2.yourisp.com
lookup  file bind

>SSHd:
>
>I have an SSHd.conf in place and it looks identical to the OS X
>version, sshd_config (I guess there's a good reason for that ;) ).
>However, when I start it it complains of having 'no host keys
>available - exiting' twice. It can't find /etc/ssh_host_key and
>/etc/ssh_host_dsa_key. The reason being that they don't exist. Is
>there a way to first time generate these keys?

Yeah...edit /etc/rc.conf, and add:
sshd=YES                sshd_flags="" (add in any flags you're interested in)

rc will take care of everything.

HTH
Mike
--