Subject: Re: Sleeping an LC III
To: NetBSD/mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Iggy Drougge <optimus@canit.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/2001 16:27:58
Alexander Klein skrev:

>At 10:19 Uhr +0100 21.12.2001, Ken Hughes wrote:

>>I have a similar query ...
>>I wonder what I would have to configure if say
>>I wanted to actually put a little toggle switch on the
>>hot lead to the SCSI drive's power supply, and actually
>>turn the drive(s) off when they are particularly idle.

>I never tried something like that, but I don't think it's easy.

It won't work just like that, no. I had an OpenBSD/i386 which I put to sleep
using atactl (based on scsictl, I believe, which would be the relevant command
in our case). The drive would spin up several times an hour.

>First of all, you'd probably have to get rid of any cron-jobs that may be
>kicking around, then you should turn of logging everywhere, but even then,
>there would still be problems.

>Any attempt at creating temporary files, and probably also any attempt at
>creating something in /var/lock/ would probably stop the whole machine
>until the drives come back to life.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but aren't well-behaved programs only supposed to
write logs and such to /var? IOW, put /var (or the relevant portions thereof)
on /dev/md0, and the machine should be quiet most of the time.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.