Subject: Re: personal laserwriter
To: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2001 22:14:11
At 1:38 PM +1100 12/19/01, David Johnston wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 07:59:03PM -0500, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>  At 7:25 PM +0100 12/18/01, marc wrote:
>>  >I found a personal laserwriter(probably NT) that connects scsi or
>>atalk-serial
>>
>>  The IINT has a parallel port and an RS232 (or 422 as that's what the
>>  Macs used). If it has a SCSI port, it's in order to plug in a hard
>>  drive, not to connect it to a computer.
>>
>>  There are three ways for you to use the IINT:
>>
>>  1) Hook it up to a PeeCee's parallel port
>>
>>  2) Hook it up to a NetBSD Mac, with the settings set to use serial,
>>  and not LocalTalk
>
>I used this method a few years ago to hook a IIsi running NetBSD to a
>laserwriter IINT. It worked pretty well, though was kind of slow.
>
>It took a lot of frustrating experimentation to get the flow control correct.
>I think I ended up making my own cable.

A standard Mac serial cable (a la ImageWriter) should work just fine.
As for flow control, the standard settings should be settable via
those dip switches or the user-configurable setting and the
LaserWriter Utility (under MacOS). I think, though, that I'd always
just used 8N1/hardware but it's been a few years. Of course an
Ethernet/LocalTalk bridge is best/fastest...whether that's a MacOS
machine running LaserWriter Bridge or a hardware device (Asante,
Farallon, Cayman or Shiva).

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.