Subject: Newbie alert....
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2001 23:39:55
OK I want to setup my LC III to provide DNS (named), SSH, HTTP and
NetAtalk. I have no idea how though. I'm pretty new to Unix and,
apart from OS X, have never done much with it. I have a full
install of NetBSD 1.5 on the machine (it needs updating to 1.5.2,
but I'm not sure how to do that either) and about 200MB free, plus
another 250MB on a separate drive. I know all about daemons
services and stuff from Linux but I have no idea how to tell BSD to
start them at boot time. i have tried adding entries in the rc.conf
for them (in /etc/rc.conf) but they still do not load, I also found
several were already there but commented out but these also do not
load.

I also had to do a manual device build (/dev/MAKEDEV all) after
installing (using the Mac OS installer) as it failed to build the
ttyE0 device properly and so in multi-user mode I could not get a
prompt up.

It is not currently on a network and is missing an ethernet card (I
have one in the post) but that will all be sorted out in time.

TIA

--

Mark Benson

aka
	SiliconValleyPirate (EveryMac)
	Kane_NUFC (Yahoo! Messenger)
	SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
	AirportMan (ICQ - 70745942)

Sent using Mac OS X Mail

'We didn't do three years of research and come up with this
concept. What we did was follow our instincts and construct a
computer that was what we wanted'
	- Steve Jobs