Subject: Re: Separate / and /usr partitions and essential or not bits...
To: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2001 08:33:59
On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Mark Benson wrote:

> I tried creating a root slice on the internal and a usr slice on
> the external and formatting them as NetBSD root and NetBSD usr
> respectively but the installer just copied all the /usr stuff to
> the root partition (I could tell as it was copying to the internal
> drive, not the external). What do I need to do different if I do it
> again. I'd like to get it right the second time as it takes forever
> and a week to unpack it all.

The easiest thing, would be to mount the "/usr" on another mountpoint,
and move all the files over:

1) Add the entry for "/usr" to /etc/fstab, but don't mount it yet.

2)
	fsck /dev/hdNx
	mount /dev/hdNx /mnt
	cd /usr
	pax -r -w -pe -v * /mnt/
	umount /mnt
	rm -r /usr
	mkdir /usr
	mount /usr

> Secondly, which tgz packages are essential and which are not. I
> don't really intend to do much recompiling but I have a PowerCD
> SCSI drive and an LC-PDS network card not attached at the moment
> and wondered what I need to install to reduce the size to a minimum
> but still be able to add devices later. I'd also like to use it as
> a DNS and do some C programming on it, although the C isn't a major
> priority right now.

If you don't intend to run "X", you could leave out all the x* sets. If
you intend to build any software, you'll need "comp.tgz" and "text.tgz",
and the only remaining optional sets -- man.tgz and misc.tgz are small.

Frederick