Subject: Separate / and /usr partitions and essential or not bits...
To: Mac 68k NetBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Benson <mdb299@soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/2001 19:02:28
I am trying to install BSD on my LCIII. I want to put the / (root)
folder on the internal drive, which has 358MB free after Mac OS and
a 64MB Swap (I have 32MB or RAM so figure it needed to be a decent
size). I then want to put the /usr stuff on the external drive
(~270MB in size) to space it all out a bit asI fear my internal
disk will fill up too fast otherwise. Can it be done using the
'Installer' application?

I tried creating a root slice on the internal and a usr slice on
the external and formatting them as NetBSD root and NetBSD usr
respectively but the installer just copied all the /usr stuff to
the root partition (I could tell as it was copying to the internal
drive, not the external). What do I need to do different if I do it
again. I'd like to get it right the second time as it takes forever
and a week to unpack it all.

Secondly, which tgz packages are essential and which are not. I
don't really intend to do much recompiling but I have a PowerCD
SCSI drive and an LC-PDS network card not attached at the moment
and wondered what I need to install to reduce the size to a minimum
but still be able to add devices later. I'd also like to use it as
a DNS and do some C programming on it, although the C isn't a major
priority right now.

Thanks :)

--

Mark Benson

aka
	SiliconValleyPirate (EveryMac)
	Kane_NUFC (Yahoo! Messenger)
	SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)
	AirportMan (ICQ - 70745942)

Sent using Mac OS X Mail

'We didn't do three years of research and come up with this
concept. What we did was follow our instincts and construct a
computer that was what we wanted'
	- Steve Jobs