Subject: Trick to replace the Battery in Macintosh Computers
To: NetBSD Mac68K List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/2001 10:07:10
Hi all,

this message is for thank someone in this list that share with us how to replace a battery (3,6 V) from a Macintosh Computer.

I made that on a Macintosh Quadra 700.

Since I do not have computer or electronic outlet (shop) near me, I use the trick with small modification:

I take 2 AA (R 6 for Europe.France),
I use a piece of electric cable and solder it to make a bridge between the first ‘-’ (negative) to the second ‘+’ (positive),
I take a second and a third small electric cable and I solder one to the other ‘-’ (negative) and the second to the other ‘+’ (positive).

Here is a small ‘art’ to (try to) better explain:

    (1)         (2)
      \         /
       \      /
       |     |
(+)   _-__  ____ (-)
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
      |  |  |  |
(-)   ____  -_-- ( +)
       |======|   (3)

(1) goes to the + pin of the computer’s battery holder
(2) goes to the - pin of the computer’s battery holder
(3) add 1.5 V to the other 1.5 V to give 3 V.

Of course, once I finish the solder process, I use some scotch roll to isolate the two batteries (remember alkaline one - non
rechargeable), place the two electric cables into their corresponding place (+ and -) in the battery holder, replace the HD/floppy
block, replace the power supply, place back the top of the Computer box...

And at last, once I put back date and time, mouse speed, I power off the computer wait some minutes (half an hour) and reboot.
Voilà, ça marche (it works!)

Have a nice day,

Emile

PS: replacement battery in Apple dealer shop price in France (near my home) is around 120 F; a pack of four R6 alkaline is around 20 F...

“If I’d lived in Roman times, I’d lived in Rome.
Where else ?
Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself.”

John Winston-Ono Lennon, early 70’s.